Description: Arrowroot starch (also called arrowroot powder) is a powdery product extracted from the roots of the arrowroot plant (Maranta Arundinaceae). The powder contains primarily various starch components (e.g. amylose), proteins, and various minerals including sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, and zinc. Gluten-free. Appearance: fine, white powder (particle size: 100% through 40 mesh). Not soluble in water.
CAS: Not available
INCI Name: Maranta Arundinacea (Arrowroot) root extract
- Excellent texturizer and filler with thickening properties useful for skin and hair care products
- Has great moisture-absorbing and slight deodorant qualities
- Makes skin silkier, softer and smoother, especially when used in body powders
- Has anti-irritant and non-allergenic properties (does not have antimicrobial properties)
- Can replace talc in formulas
- Often used as thickener in hair dye products
Use: Add as is to formula, preferentially to water phase. No heating is required. Typical use level is 3 – 30% depending on desired viscosity. For external use only.
Applications: Body powders, makeup powders, baby powder, deodorants, athlete's foot products, anti-irritant skin care products, creams, lotions, eye cosmetics, hair care products.
Country of Origin: Thailand
Raw material source: Roots of the arrowroot plant (Maranta arundinaceae)
Manufacture: Before extracting the starch, the roots are washed and the scales are removed to avoid any disagreeable flavor. The roots are then crushed in mortars resulting in a milky liquid which is passed through a coarse cloth. The insoluble, pure starch is allowed to settle at the bottom and is further dried resulting in a fine powder.
Animal Testing: Not animal tested
Vegan: Does not contain animal-derived components